Just like her big sister, Harper decided to make a dramatic entrance. My water broke a 4 am on Thursday morning. I was at home alone with Carter and Nick was in Detroit for work. Since we had another 5 weeks before her due date we were not totally prepared yet. I quickly got a few things packed for me and Carter. Nick immediately started making phone calls to friends and family. Within 20 minutes I had 3 friends at my door. Our friend Robyn took Carter and our friends Nick Holmes and Rock drove me to the hospital. Within another a few hours both sets of grandparents, Aunt Joye & Uncle Rob and Aunt Emily were all at the hospital with me. Nick was concerned about me being at the hospital alone so he made sure I was covered!! After my 4 am call to Nick he quickly got his bags packed, jumped in his rental car and drove to the airport. He was fortunate (with some help from security rushing him through) to catch at 6 am flight, make a connection in DC and arrive back home by 10:30 am. He was at the hospital by 11am!! Once Nick arrived we had to make some decisions, because I was only 34 1/2 weeks the Doctors were concerned about Harper's lungs. We talked to the neonatologist on staff about the risks of her being born with respiratory needs. My Doctor would have preferred to stop labor and keep me pregnant a little longer, but Harper had her own agenda and contractions were too consistent to stop labor. When we learned she would be born today we decided to give me a shot of steroids for her lungs and let the labor progress. At around 5 pm Harper decided she was ready to meet us so with the NICU staff in place, and 4 rounds of pushing later she was here!! She was a feisty little thing and everyone was so happy to hear her screaming!! She was breathing great on her own and even tried to nurse right after she was born. Overall, the neonatologist was very pleased with her. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz. and was 18 1/2 inches long. She arrived at 5:19 am, so we got to see her for about 30 minutes before was taken to the NICU for observation. Here are a few pictures from her arrival...

2 comments:
Happy Bday!!! SOoooooo happy that she is healthy - what a story!! Can't wait to see more precious pics :)
I am soooo far behind on blogging that I'm just now reading all your updates! I knew Harper was here, but I didn't realize she was so early!! I'm so glad to hear everyone is doing well! I know you're busy, but call me when you can! Love ya!
Post a Comment